• Latest News

    Wednesday 18 January 2017

    Frank Carter: 'I didn’t know how to cook until I met my wife'

    All this week on Beats 1 Julie Adenuga speaks to her UK Represent Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes about touring with Biffy Clyro, last year for them, their new track Vampires, their new album and much much more.

    On last year
    "We had a pretty turbulent year, but I feel that everybody has, it’s a sign of the times. It’s not all flowers outside, like it’s pretty stormy clouds over us at the minute, but I’m just focussed on what I’m doing.”

    On his tweet about stage diving
    “If you book us, you know what you’re getting and that show, that show was the last show of a sold out tour and they gave those flyers out after the second support band, right before we went on. So isn’t like there’s signs up at the venue or they handed it out in the queue at the beginning, they did it right before I went on and I was like, well this feels very personal now and I take offence to that, so I’m gonna eat this one in front of everybody and everybody’s gonna know they can have a good time. And the thing is, you know the pit security, the head of security there, was a guy that i’ve known for years and years, like I had a first with him the first gig I ever played like 10 years ago, which he loved and he’s just an old punk guy you know and he was just really stoked, he knew as soon as he saw me he was like, ‘Ok this is going to be great, they told me there was gonna be trouble makers in here, but it’s you we’ll be fine.’ and we just had a really really good time and it’s important for me.”

    On playing ‘Modern Ruin’ live
    “We dedicated the song ‘Modern Ruin’ as the stage dive song. On tour, it’s a new song that we’re playing in the set, nobody knows the words, no knows the music, so we dedicate it as this is the crowd surfing stage dive song. So you can all have a good time while we play the new song so we don’t feel awkward you know. But there’s a rule and the rule is, it’s women only, like hands down women only, because I spend a lot of my show like seeing loads of female fans down the front and they love the music, they love the words, they’re passionate about the band and they spend their entire night getting jumped on by ugly boys and it’s just not fair because I know how that feels, I spent a lot of my life getting jumped on by ugly boys and it’s just not okay, so you know we dedicate it to them and we make sure they know like, if you’ve never stage dived because you’ve been intimidated of this, it is not a thing to be intimidated by, this is punk rock you know, this is equality, we are the outsiders, it don’t matter your colour, your gender, your religious belief like, your preference like. You’re here for music.”

    On the inspiration behind his track ‘Vampires’…
    "You know what, I’m sitting here and I’m laughing because the whole time I haven’t realised that I’m going to have to talk about this song. And I haven’t done any interviews about it. I was just like, “Oh yeah, that song’s just going to get out there” and now you’ve just said, “What’s it about?” So the first song is all about my dog and the last song’s all about my daughter and then the entire middle is all about my wife and I, pretty much, and kind of the stuff we were going through. And this song… I wrote this song at three in the morning when we’d had a fight and she rolled over - I was asleep - she rolled over and prodded me awake and she was like, “you know what - you’re a bit of an egomaniac” and then she rolled back and went to sleep and left me with that. She’s amazing, she’s incredible. But of course I didn’t sleep basically - I was just like, “Am I?” And I just wrote this song and it’s about her place in this and I was trying to speak from her perspective - which is wrong really, it’s wrong - it was a selfish thing to do but I was inspired by it.

    On how his wife’s comments resonated with him after life on the road…
    "A few of the things she said really resonated with me. She was like, “Man you don’t even think about laundry and stuff, you need to like check yourself” and I was like, “Listen, I promise I will but I need a little help doing this” I’m sorry but from the age of 17 I was in a tour bus, you know, someone else did my laundry, I had life taken care of. I didn’t know how to cook until I met her - genuinely - because I had catering! I come off the road and I’m like, “Man I’m hungry, like why’s there not just a platter spread out?! What’s going on here? Man this laundry basket is full and I’ve got no clothes, where’s that guy that just comes picks it up and takes it off?” It’s ridiculous. It’s utterly ridiculous and absolutely she’s pulling her hair out at me.

    Julie Adenuga x Frank Carter: Part 3

    On how seriously he took recording the album ‘Modern Ruin’…
    "More seriously than anything I think I’ve done. This was my moment for - like ‘Blossom’ opened a lot of doors for me and it brought me back to the forefront of a lot of people’s minds, they remembered like, “Oh yeah I remember this guy, he was important to me at one point” and with this record we had an opportunity to open a lot more doors and the ones that we’d just opened, kick them open firmly and say, “We’re here, we ain’t leaving now, like I got the keys now.” For us like I had one shot at getting it right and it was very quick. I mean we started writing ‘Modern Ruin’ the week ‘Blossom’ came out - we wrote all of these songs in 2015.

    On touring with Biffy Clyro
    “I don’t see any gig as a support gig for me, like, it’s a headline gig it’s just a little bit more advance. [J: “I really hope I don’t ruin this tour by the way, when they hear this, they’re like, he’s taking over our show”] F: “No I can’t take over their show, I could never do, that, I will try, I will try my hardest, but they’re a machine. We have a responsibility to go and be the band that people will remember. Everybody is there for Biffy, obviously, that’s fine, but we have an opportunity, so we’re gonna go and do our thing. [J: “We’re gonna go and do our thing and absolutely smash it.”] F: “Yeah, yeah, that’s what we do, we smash it every night, I’ve got incredibly talented musicians playing with me, I know that the wall of sound behind me is there always and it’s always prime and it’s just perfect.”
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Item Reviewed: Frank Carter: 'I didn’t know how to cook until I met my wife' Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Unknown
    Scroll to Top